Babies spend most of their time sleeping. With that in mind, you need to ensure you buy the best baby crib for your little one.
But with so many styles, types, and brands of baby cribs on the market today, how do you choose the right one for your baby?
Well, the experts at Baby Got Stuff have got you covered. In this baby cribs buying guide 2020, we will discuss the different types of baby cribs on the market, factors to consider when buying a baby crib as well as baby crib safety measures and guidelines.
By the end of this handy guide, you will be in a better position to make an informed choice on which baby crib to buy for your baby. And if you still have questions, don’t hesitate to ask us.
Types of Baby Cribs
Standard Baby Cribs
These are the type of baby cribs that you will find in most homes. As their name suggests, they are just basic baby cribs, with no fancy features or designs. They are renowned for their simple, sturdy construction. Also, standard baby cribs are long-lasting and cheaper than most of the other options.
The main drawback of standard cribs is that they are quite heavy and bulky, making them hard to move. Also, they tend to take up more space, compared to alternatives like bassinets. So, if you looking for a basic and affordable yet sturdy and long-lasting baby crib, then this one will be perfect.
Convertible Baby Cribs
As the name sounds, a convertible baby crib can easily be converted into other combinations such as a day bed, toddler bed, twin crib, or even a queen bed. They are usually labeled according to the number of combinations that you can turn them into. For instance, if it’s a 2-in-1 convertible crib, then it means you can convert it into two combinations. If it’s a 4-in-1 crib, then it means you can convert it into 4 different types.
Should you buy a convertible crib? Convertible cribs are one of the best baby cribs for girls and boys. The main advantage of buying a convertible crib is that it’s a long-term, cost-effective bedding solution for your children. So, when you buy one, you’ve effectively closed the chapter of shopping for cribs. Furthermore, it’s an economical and environmentally-friendly option, since once purchase will last for many years.
On the other hand, convertible cribs are more expensive, compared to conventional cribs. Also, some expertise is needed to convert the bed from one form to the others. Furthermore, some models tend to wear out quite fast, rendering them unsuitable for other transformations later on. So, if you plan to buy a convertible crib, make sure you go for a top-quality model.
It’s important to note that some convertible cribs will require you to purchase the conversion kits separately. If you intend to buy such a crib, it’s highly advisable to buy both the crib and the conversion kit from the same manufacturer, to ensure compatibility. Also, ensure you buy one whose assembly or conversion is not too complicated.
Portable Baby Cribs
Also known as mini-cribs or folding cribs, portable cribs are smaller than standard or conventional cribs. They are the best baby cribs for small spaces. So, if you have limited space in your bedroom or if you are looking for the best baby cribs for short mums, then a portable crib will be an ideal solution. Another advantage of buying a portable baby crib is that you can easily move it from one area of the house to another – thus making it easy to keep an eye on your little one.
The main disadvantage of portable cribs is longevity. Compared to other types of cribs, portable cribs tend to have a shorter life span. Some parents have also complained that the cribs mattress gets damaged too easily. Also, if you don’t choose the correct wheels, they may damage your flooring material.
Travel Baby Cribs
If you are planning to be taking your baby on holiday, overnight visits, vacations and day trips, then you will need a travel baby crib. The best baby travel cribs should be comfortable, lightweight, easy to set up and easy to carry.
When buying a portable baby crib, you will come across different types, models and designs. The basic, less expensive cribs are easier to assemble, disassemble and transport. Also, they only come with a handful of features. On the other hand, premium travel cribs come equipped with numerous features and options like additional storage areas, changing tables, toys or even a removable bassinet.
If you opt to buy a travel baby crib with a bassinet, then you should remember that the bassinet is just a temporary feature. In short, the crib should be comfortable and safe for your little one, with or without the bassinet.
Multipurpose Baby Cribs
These cribs come with additional features like changing tables, shelf storage, and dresser. As you may expect, these baby cribs with storage are a bit pricey, due to the added features and functionalities. The primary concern for multipurpose baby cribs is that your little one may climb onto the changing table or dresser and then fall off, leading to injuries.
Another issue that you may encounter when you buy a multipurpose baby crib is that the storage space provided in most of them is usually not enough to accommodate the baby’s clothing. Also, with the additional of so many features, multipurpose cribs tend to have a larger footprint than conventional cribs. So, if you have space limitations in the nursery, then you should explore other options.
Choosing the Best Baby Crib
As you can see, you have numerous options to choose from, if you are looking for a baby crib. But before you decide whether you should buy a standard crib, a portable crib, multipurpose crib, travel crib or the other types on the market, you need to consider some factors. Here are some of the things to look out for when you are buying a baby crib.
- Safety: Your baby’s safety remains the most important factor to consider when buying baby cribs. Whether you are looking for the best baby cribs for twins or newborns, you should make sure that the crib’s bars and rails are not too spaced more than 3 inches apart. If they are spaced wider than that, your baby may escape through the spaces or even get trapped between the rails, leading to choking and death. Also, the crib shouldn’t have side posts that are sticking out, as loose clothing may get caught on the posts – which presents a strangulation risk. You should also check the crib carefully to ensure there are no sharp edges, cracked or missing slats, crews sticking out or any other safety hazard. Also, you should ensure that it meets ASTM, JPMA, CPSC and all other applicable safety standards and guidelines.
- Available space: Space availability is also an important consideration when shopping for the best baby cribs in 2020. Some cribs are large while others are smaller. So, the type or design that you choose should align with the space that you have. For instance, if you have limited space in the nursery, then a mini-crib should be ideal. On the other hand, if space is not an issue, then you can go for a crib that is large and beautiful.
- Portability: If you are someone who moves around quite a lot, then you need to choose a portable baby crib. Portable baby cribs are lightweight, easy to set up and easy to disassemble, yet sturdy and durable enough, for everyday use. Travel baby cribs are also ideal for parents who travel a lot.
- Convertible or standard: Whether to choose a convertible or standard baby crib ultimately comes down to a personal decision. Each type comes with pros and cons. So, you just need to choose wisely, depending on your budget, personal preferences and the available space in your home.
- Buy a new one: As much as you may be having some financial challenges, it’s highly advisable to buy a new baby crib. Older or used cribs may be in disrepair, and you will be putting your little one at risk. Also, some older models don’t meet current safety standards.
- Check the workmanship: Even if you are buying a new baby crib, you shouldn’t assume that it’s fully safe for your little one. Therefore, you should check it thoroughly to ensure everything is perfectly in place. Ensure the metal bars, slats, frames and all the other components are securely fastened and tightly assembled. Also, check for protruding corners posts, screws, nuts or decorative pieces.
- Arrange for assembly: Baby cribs usually come unassembled, especially if you buy it online. So, if you don’t have the skills or tools to assemble it, then you should ensure you get someone who can put it together for you. If you are buying from a local store, then you can request the retailer to send you someone who can assemble it for you. As much as it may cost you some money to have it assembled, it will save you time while making sure that it’s properly assembled.
With so many crib options, choosing the right baby crib can be a difficult decision. Here at Baby Got Stuff, we hope that the information we’ve provided here will make your work easier and help you to choose a comfortable, secure and sturdy crib for your little one.
Already purchased a baby crib? Which one did you choose and what informed your decision?